Pages

menu home about me contact nail designs buttons Image Map

October 25, 2012

Urban Decay Primer Potion VS E.L.F. Eyelid Primer

Good afternoon everyone :) Recently I got the Urban Decay primer potion and I wanted to compare it with the eyeshadow primer I'm currently using, e.l.f. eyelid primer. In the past I compared the e.l.f. eyelid primer with the e.l.f. mineral eyeshadow primer (you can read it here) so basically if I will compare the UDPP with the 2 primers from e.l.f (if you will read that review too).
urban decay primer potion vs elf eyelid primer


The Urban Decay, as you might know, changed the packaging for the primer potion, now it comes in a squeeze tube which is much much better than before because, from what I've seen, previously you had to depot it to get the whole amount of primer. The new packing has 0.85 fl oz and you pay around $20,quite expensive I would say. Surprisingly for me this one does contain quite few parabens, you can see the whole list of ingredients here.
The e.l.f. eyelid primer comes in hard plastic tube and it contains 0.17 fl oz for $1. This is 5 times smaller than Urban Decay but even for the same amount you would pay just $5. The good thing is that the e.l.f. eyelid primer doesn't contain any parabens, you can read the ingredients here.
So far +2 for e.l.f. eyelid primer: cheaper,parabens free.
udpp vs elf eyelid primer
Urban Decay Primer Potion VS E.L.F. Eyelid Primer
Urban Decay primer potion is much thicker than e.l.f. eyelid primer. The UDPP is cold skin tone color while the e.l.f. one is warm skin tone color. They both apply easily and blend in very well. The e.l.f. eyelid primer leaves behind kinda off white color which, to be honest, isn't very visible on the lid. From the swatches on the back of my hand you can see the UDPP goes smoothly and doesn't set in the skin lines while the e.l.f. one does but that doesn't really matter because you use the primer under the eyeshadows. Now let's move on the most important part,how they help the staying power and vibrancy of the eyeshadows.

urban decay primer potion vs elf eyelid primer swatches
Urban Decay Primer Potion VS E.L.F. Eyelid Primer
For the pictures I use exactly the same products on both eyes and I did only use the primers under the eyeshadows. As for eyeshadow payoff both Urban Decay primer potion and e.l.f. eyelid primer did exactly the same job. On the picture there is a slight difference but that's because of the camera, in real life you can't tell which one is which.
As for staying power, the UDPP did a slightly better job than e.l.f eyelid primer but the difference is only visible with pictures, in real life you can't tell. To take those pictures I wore the eye makeup for 7 or 8 hours which is the average amount of time that someone would wear makeup, I know that there are some people who wear makeup for way longer. So for staying power the UDPP did slightly better job.

Overall I would say that I like both of them but if I take under the consideration the price and the fact that UDPP has parabens I prefer my e.l.f. eyelid primer. If I would compare UDPP to e.l.f. mineral eyeshadow primer they probably would perform the same in everything since the mineral eyeshadow primer is slightly better than eyelid primer.

What do you think of this review? Which eyeshadow primer you use? Let me know in the comments below :)

11 comments:

  1. I've never used an eye primer before but the E.l.f one looks great! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh you should try one, specially the e.l.f. since its so cheap :)

      Delete
  2. fab review!I prefer the udpp as I have really oily eyelids and its the only thing that makes my shadow stay put all day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, mine are slightly oily and both work pretty good on me :)

      Delete
  3. This is so helpful! I have been a bit discouraged since my UDPP has been running low and I don't feel like paying to replace it. I will definitely be checking out the elf. one now!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, there aren't really any big differences between those 2 :)

      Delete
  4. Δεν έχω δοκιμάσει κανένα από τα δύο. Και μετά από αυτό το post, αν δοκιμάσω κάποιο θα είναι σίγουρα της elf. Εγώ χρησιμοποιώ το shadow insurance της Too Faced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Δεν έχω δοκιμάσει το shadow insurance αλλά έχω ακούσει καλά λόγια και για αυτό. Όποτε παραγείλεις ξανά απο e.l.f. πάρε και το eyelid primer h mineral eyeshadow primer, εξάλλου δεν είναι ακριβά :)

      Delete
  5. Loved the review... I might just purchase the mineral E.L.F primer

    xoxo
    Madiha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love the mineral eyeshadow primer by e.l.f. plus it's very affortable :)

      Delete
  6. great! I have elf but doesn't works with me, I need try the other one,, I have VERY oily eyelids :( good job!

    if somebody here speak spanish, is welcome to my blog www.miabeautique.com <3 see u there!

    ReplyDelete

Please don't leave comments just to leave the link to your blog!!! All the comments that include giveaways links or those that have been posted with only purpose to leave you link will be DELETED without any question!